onGamers News

Update: Smash Bros Melee Returns to Evo and MLG, Nintendo comments

Nintendo America gives the greenlight for Super Smash Bros. Melee's inclusion in competitive circuits, ans has provided onGamers with a statement.

Update: 11:57 AM PST: Nintendo has released a statement to onGamers on the approval of Smash Bros to be streamed at larger events around the world. This is the first time Nintendo has spoken on the issue since the controversy at last year's EVO.

The fact that Super Smash Bros. Melee is being used to help determine champion status for competitive gamers so many years after it was released is a testament to the strong fan passion for both this individual game and the Super Smash Bros. franchise overall, Nintendo of America Senior Director of Corporate Communications Charlie Scibetta told onGamers. "Nintendo is happy to work with both Evo and Major League Gaming to help make their tournaments come to life using the game, and we hope it helps make their events enjoyable for video game fans everywhere. Nintendo will be releasing a new Super Smash Bros. game for both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS this year."

Nintendo declined to comment further on what has been causing the delay on their end, but sources close to the situation say it is over IP rights when broadcasting the game.

Major League Gaming Vice President Adam Apicella confirmed there will be a $15,000 prize pot for Smash at MLG Anaheim.

"We are extremely excited to welcome Super Smash Bros. Melee back to the Pro Circuit", Apicella told onGamers. "We have been working closely with Nintendo since last year in order to showcase the game and we’re thrilled to finally share the good news. We hope this leads to continued and deeper collaboration with Nintendo in the future."

Apicella also commented that the successor to Melee, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, has not been granted permission for use at MLG Anaheim.

Original story: We've come full circle: in the wake of the Smash Brothers documentary, and after a long seven-year hiatus, MLG's announced the return of Super Smash Bros. Melee to its competitive circuit. At the same time, EVO announced that Nintendo America has given their approval for the game's inclusion in the next tournament.

Excited to welcome back Super Smash Bros. Melee to the #MLG Pro Circuit at #MLGAnaheim June 20-22. More details and pass sales this week!

— Adam Apicella (@MrAdamAp) March 12, 2014

Melee was last featured in EVO just last year, after a community charity drive propelled it back into the games roster. Its inclusion was nearly shut down by Nintendo America, but the drama of the last-minute approval helped the game smash EVO's viewership records with over 130,000 concurrent, and helped pave the road for Marvel vs Capcom's 140,000 later on.

While MLG was considering Melee's return to its competitive circuits, they hosted a marathon airing showmatches, live interviews and the Smash Brothers documentary.

Image Credit: Shoryuken.com, Nintendoenthusiast.com

4 Comments
Edited by progducto

We're glad to be back. The biggest stage for fighters and for the Melee community...also a homecoming. Thanks to both organizations for fighting on our behalf to let our scene be represented, and of course, thanks to Nintendo for being stellar with the negotiations, giving life to this scene and supporting it.

Posted by BasedPaulBunyan

oh yes oh yes!

Posted by GonzaloZeRo

It's awesome to be back on MLG and EVO. I'm very thankful and I can't wait to attend both tournaments. However, I'll keep supporting Brawl (And Smash as a whole) and I hope that it can also return to both organizations at some point.

Posted by Spopo

Really great news to see. 2014 is the year for Melee!